- 1 Best Hair Cutting Shear Reviews (Newest Models)
- 1.1 1. Centrix Roc-it Dog Shear R 575
- 1.2 2. Saki Katana Japanese Hair Scissors Set
- 1.3 3. JOHN Longlasting Professional Shears
- 1.4 4. Suvorna 5.5” Precision Japanese Barber Scissors
- 1.5 5. ZZZRT Multi Color (Complete Students & Barber Kit)
- 1.6 6. Professional Barber Hair Cutting Scissors Shears
- 1.7 7. Got Glamour Cobalt Molybdenum Hair Cutting Scissors
- 1.8 8. Professional Barber/Salon Hair Cutting Scissors
- 1.9 9. Equinox Professional Razor Edge Series
- 1.10 10. Professional Barber Scissor Hair Cutting Set
- 2 The Importance of Having A High-Quality Hair Scissor
- 3 Hair Cutting Shears Buying Guide
- 4 Caring For Your Hair Cutting Shears
- 5 Best Hair Cutting Shear Comparison Chart
- 6 Wrap Up
Hair cutting shears are the most important tools you can use when you’re a hairdresser, a stylist, or a barber. If you have good shears, you will be able to work, no matter how the hairstyles change, and what the current fashions demand.
But did you know that the handle is as important as the blades if you have to use a pair of scissors for long?
A good blade might cut the hair faster, but a good handle will allow you to cut hair maintaining a comfortable position, so you will be able to move faster and more efficiently.
In the following article, we present the best hair cutting shears in 2018. We’re certain that after reading our hair cutting shear reviews and our short buying guide you’ll be able to find the right model for your needs.
- Centrix Roc-it Dog Shear R 575
- PRICE $$$$
- Material : Melting custom blended alloys
- Size : 5.75"
- Blade : Precision Cast Convex Blade
- Saki Katana Japanese Hair Scissors Set
- PRICE $$$$$
- Material : Japanese Stainless Steel
- Size : 6 inch/30 Teeth
- Blade : Thick and short sword back blades with hardness 59-61 HRC
- JOHN Longlasting Professional Shears
- PRICE $$
- Material : Japanese ATS314 Cobalt Steel
- Size : 6.5 inch
- Blade : Convex Blades Anti-slip Carved
- Suvorna 5.5” Precision Razor Edge Japanese Stainless Steel Barber Scissors
- PRICE $$$
- Material : JAPANESE J2 420 STEEL
- Size : 5.5 inch
- Blade : Convex razor edge and hollow ground blades
- ZZZRT Multi Color (Complete Students & Barber Kit)
- PRICE $$$$
- Material : Japanese J2 Stainless Steel
- Size : 5.5 inch
- Blade : Pro Razor edge
Best Hair Cutting Shear Reviews (Newest Models)
1. Centrix Roc-it Dog Shear R 575Whether you’re a student, a stylist, or a barber, the Centrix Roc-it R 575 would make a great addition to your cutting tools. These shears offer the cutting tools you need to express your performance and creativity.
The Roc-it shears are precision cast. This means that the metals are melted at incredibly high temperatures and then they’re mixed to create the special alloy which is then poured into a handcrafted mold.
When the components are retrieved from the mold, they are sharpened, polished, and honed by hand to get a sure and precise edge. The shears come with a low-stress offset grip, a custom tension modifier knob, and a removable finger rest.
One of the advantages of choosing Centrix for your shears is that they come with a lifetime warranty against any manufacturer defects that might appear. Their products also benefit from an in-house service where expert craftsmen will service, sharpen, and refurbish your shears when needed, making sure they always deliver maximum performance.
The offset grip will allow you to have a relaxed grip on the shears, so you will always be relaxed when using them. This will improve your cutting speed and lower the stress in your arms and back at the same time.
2. Saki Katana Japanese Hair Scissors SetThe Saki Katana Hair Scissor is made out of durable Japanese 440C stainless steel coated with a 1.5 um black titanium coating, resulting in a pair of very durable yet light shears which are specially designed to last. The extra long crane handle makes handling the shears very comfortable, and it prevents fatigue from appearing in the shoulders, hands, or wrists.
The shears combine hollow-ground and triple-honed blades to provide a sharper and cleaner cut. The convex blade is designed for slide cutting, but you can also use it bluntly as well. You can use the shears on both wet and dry hair with great results.
The thinning shears are handmade out of Japanese 440C stainless steel, and they are also coated in black titanium. They are 6 inches long. These shears are perfect for blending, thinning, and adding texture. They have 30 teeth, and they offer superior balance so you can achieve great results every time.
The Saki Katana shears can be used by both professionals and amateurs alike. If you’re interested in maintaining your beard or hair in a good fashion, wielding these shears will come to great help.
The set also comes with a high-quality case and a texturing razor for improved styling.
3. JOHN Longlasting Professional ShearsWhen you decide to earn your living by cutting people’s hair, you know you have to invest in the right tools for the job. Whether we’re talking about the hair clippers, the thinning scissors, or the hair cutting shears, everything has to be top-notch. If you use flimsy tools, they might break faster than you think, and they might even inconvenience your customers.
The professional hair cutting shears developed by John will cut the hair smoothly and without ripping or pulling it. They have razor-like sharp blades that will cut through the thickest hair without any problem.
These shears are made out of high-quality Japanese ATS314 alloy which contains cobalt and steel. This alloy has a lifespan three times longer than regular stainless steel, so you will be able to use the shears for a very long time
All the shears are hand sharpened by a professional, and all of them are individually inspected before they are shipped. You can rest assured that only the best models will reach you.
These shears come with a 24-month warranty and free service period. During this time, you can have the shears sharpened for free, but you most likely won’t have to.
4. Suvorna 5.5” Precision Japanese Barber ScissorsSuvorna’s 5.5” precision shears are the right tools for the job if you’re a barber or a stylist. With millions of customers around the world, Suvorna is one of the most popular barber tools and accessories in the world.
The shears have a convex razor edge that works perfectly with the hollow ground blades and cut the hair without bending or pushing it, so every cut you make will be very precise.
This model is made out of a single slab of the best quality J2 Japanese 420 stainless steel. This steel grade is very hard and durable, and it will maintain its edge for a very long time. These scissors are not a tool. They are an investment. You will be able to use them for years, keeping all your customers happy with your great performance.
One of the great things about choosing this model is that it comes with a lifetime warranty. Every pair of scissors has to pass several tests before it’s released for sale, so it benefits from a lifetime warranty against every manufacturer defects.
The hollow ground build will help you use the scissors with precision for a long time without feeling tired, keeping all your customers happy with your performance and precision.
5. ZZZRT Multi Color (Complete Students & Barber Kit)One of the most complex scissor sets available on the market in 2018, ZZZRT’s set comes with all the accessories you would need if you’re a student or a professional barber.
The set contains 4 different hairdressing scissors, one hair thinning shears, a hair thinning razor, and a comb. Once you buy this set, you will be ready to deliver the best hairstyles for your clients without any additional tools.
All the scissors in this set are made out of high-quality Japanese stainless steel which is coated in titanium for increased durability and an improved style. The coating provides increased protection against corrosion, and it also maintains the scissors’ edge sharp for a longer period of time.
The scissors have an ergonomically designed curved and bent down finger and thumb hole which will reduce fatigue. This is a great feature which will allow you to use the scissors for hours on end without feeling the fatigue build up in your arms, shoulders, or back.
If you choose this set, you will be able to cut both wet and dry hair without any problems, and you will be able to make even the smallest adjustments without having to use another tool.
- Professional Hairdressing Scissors-Barber Hair Cutting Scissors Shears
- PRICE $
- Material : 440C Japanese Stainless Steel
- Size : 6.5 inch
- Blade : Razor Sharp
- Got Glamour Cobalt Molybdenum Right-Handed Hair Cutting Scissors
- PRICE $$$
- Material : Cobalt Molybdenum
- Size : 6 inch
- Blade : Convex Blade
- Professional Barber/Salon Razor Edge Hair Cutting Scissors
- PRICE $$
- Material : Japanese stainless steel
- Size : 6 ½ inch
- Blade : Precise blades and hand sharpened cutting edge
- Equinox Professional Razor Edge Series
- PRICE $$
- Material : Japanese stainless steel
- Size : 6.5 inch
- Blade : Precise blades and hand-sharpened cutting edges
- Professional Barber Scissor Hair Cutting Set
- PRICE $
- Material : Japanese Sharpened Stainless Steel
- Size : 6.5 inch
- Blade : Superior blades will never lock up or get dull
6. Professional Barber Hair Cutting Scissors ShearsKovira is one of the manufacturers that supplies millions of professionals across the world. Their products are usually used in salons or barbershops, but you can use them with great results at home, as well.
You should always use the best tools available for every job. When you choose a Kovira pair of hair cutting scissors, you can rest assured that your product will be very hygienic, non-tarnishable, and easy to clean. Moreover, their products are renowned for their durability. Once you choose one of their scissors, you can use it for years on end.
These professional hairdressing scissors are 6.5” long. They are constructed out of Japanese 440C stainless steel, and they are very stylish. The scissors come in a cushioned black leather storage for an easier and safer transport.
The nice thing about these scissors is that they have a very good balance. Once you start cutting hair, you can keep on going for hours without feeling tired.
The scissors have removable rubber handle inserts designed to fit any fingers for a better hair cutting experience. The easy-to-use tension adjustment uses a knurled knob. You will always be able to adjust the sharp blades to make exactly the cuts you’re looking for without pulling or crushing the hair.
7. Got Glamour Cobalt Molybdenum Hair Cutting ScissorsThere’s nothing like the feeling of doing something right. But to do anything right, you need the proper tools. If you’re interested in hairdressing, whether you’re a student, a barber, or a stylist, the Got Glamour cutting scissors are the proper tool for you.
One of the problems most people, even the professionals, encounter when looking for a new pair of hairdressing scissors is the sheer amount of types of Japanese steel most manufacturers use nowadays. You don’t know which type is better than the other, or why. You can’t tell which is the more durable one, and which one will keep its edge for longer.
Well, when you choose these scissors, those are problems of the past. Unlike other models, these shears are made out of cobalt molybdenum, and they have a very sharp edge. In fact, their edge can actually last 5 times longer than that of stainless steel blades.
Another great thing about these scissors is that you can use them for hours and not feel any fatigue building in your wrists, arms, and shoulders. The custom-made offset grip has a detachable rubber insert and a finger rest to help relieve the stress accumulated in a day’s work.
8. Professional Barber/Salon Hair Cutting ScissorsWhen you want to make all your clients happy so they’ll come back at your hairdressing salon or your barber shop, or when you simply want to reveal your skills and creativity, you need to use only the best tools.
These professional hair cutting scissors are one of the most popular models currently available for sale, and they’re used by some of the best hairdressers and stylists around the world.
Constructed out of the best Japanese stainless J2 420 steel, the scissors are treated until they gain a Rockwell hardness of 53 – 54. In short, these scissors will keep their cutting edge for a very long time before you will notice any difference.
Each pair of scissors is sanded, tested, and wrapped by hand, so you can be sure they are tweaked to make sure they deliver only the best performance.
The scissors are 6.5” long, and they are apt to cut all types of hair with precision. The ergonomic design of the handle will make the scissors easy to use, so you will be able to cut hair all day long without tiring. The finger and thumb removable sizing adjustments make the scissors fit in every hand, so you will handle them with ease.
9. Equinox Professional Razor Edge SeriesMany times you find it hard to part with a pair of scissors you’ve been using for a long time. Part of the reason is that you’ve grown used to using them, part of the reason is that you don’t know which set scissors to replace them with. Well, this might just be a problem of the past.
The Equinox Professional is one of the most popular pairs of scissors used by professionals around the world. This model is so famous, it was even featured in InStyle magazine.
The scissors are made out of top Japanese stainless steel and they’re tempered with very precise blades and sharp cutting edges. The edges are manually sharpened, so you can rest assured that the scissors will perform great once you receive them.
One of the reasons so many professionals choose to use these scissors is the distinctive grip handle. The handle design allows the user to use the scissors comfortably for a long time. It comes with a removable finger and thumb inserts for a better size adjustment and a comfortable use.
These scissors are 6.5” long and weigh 4.8 oz, but they are brilliantly balanced. The balance is just right, so you won’t feel fatigue building up in your wrists or arms.
10. Professional Barber Scissor Hair Cutting SetShearGuru’s professional scissor set is one of the best sets currently available on the market. The set is made out of a straight edge scissor and a pair of thinning shears. Both shears come in an elegant faux leather case for storage and maneuverability.
Both the straight scissor and the thinning shears are built from sturdy Japanese stainless steel, and they are very hard and durable. These shears are capable of maintaining their edge for 5 times longer than other models. Every time you use them, you can rest assured they will produce exactly the cut you’re looking for.
The shears are hand sharpened and they come with a specially designed Culton tension screw, so they will cut for longer than their competition.
One of the advantages of choosing ShearGuru is that they develop their products alongside professionals, so you can rest assured that you buy quality. These shears are specially designed for long handling, so you can keep cutting hair all day without experiencing fatigue in your hands or shoulders.
Who would say no to a product that offers both quality and durability at an accessible price? To make their offer even better, ShearGuru products also come with a lifetime warranty, so if you notice a manufacturer defect while you’re using them you can simply send them back to the manufacturer.
The Importance of Having A High-Quality Hair Scissor
To the untrained eye, a pair of scissors is not different from the other. Sure, even untrained people can tell when a scissor is longer or shorter, or when you’re using a hair thinner or a cutting scissor, but that’s about it.
However, professionals and hairdressing enthusiasts know that when it comes to scissors, a lot of factors count, and every scissor is different from another. But even so, you might tell which scissor is better for a particular task from your training or experience, but do you really know which components in a scissor make a difference when it comes to performance? Do you know what makes the scissors perform differently?
In the following section, we part some light on how scissors work, how to differentiate them, and how to choose the best one for your job.
If you’re not a professional, just an enthusiast, don’t be intimidated. This section will answer both beginner and advanced questions, so feel free to read on if you want to find out more about hairdressing scissors.
Hair Cutting Shears Buying Guide
When it comes to choosing a pair of hair cutting shears, multiple elements are important. Every trained professional, whether a barber, a hairdresser, a stylist, and even a groomer has a personal preference. We tend to choose our shears based on our training and personal experience, so we look for the ones that have the same length, a similar weight, and definitely the same curve and edges as the one we previously used.
How To Choose Hair Cutting Shears in 4 Steps?
But how do the different elements in a pair of hair cutting shears influence the way it performs?
Size Of Hair Scissors
Most manufacturers allow you to choose one of the multiple sizes they develop their models. But how does the size affect your hair cutting performance? Is it better to buy a shorter or a longer scissor?
If you begin your styling or barber career in a school, one of the first things that your instructor will do is find you a suitable pair of scissors. There is no such thing as a universal scissor size for everyone. The right size of the scissors is actually related to the user’s hand.
The scissors have to fit your hand comfortably, so people with larger hands will need larger scissors. If the scissors are too small compared with the hands, the range of motion the fingers are capable of will be limited. On the other hand, using scissors that are too large will impede your cutting motion.
Most instructors advise their students to start with a smaller size and switch to a larger one as their progress in their studies. On average, most people start cutting hair using 4.5” – 5.5” scissors. Only people with large hands will start directly with a 6.5” pair of scissors.
To find out which scissor size is the best one for you, place a pair of shears on your palm so that the finger hole touches the base of your thumb. The blade’s tip should reach your middle finger, touching its last section.
Types Of Hair Cutting Scissors
There are many types of hair cutting scissors used by professionals around the world. They tend to vary in different parts of the world, but most hairdressers use straight scissors and thinning shears.
- Straight Scissors –
These are the industry’s standard. You use straight scissors for most of the time while hair cutting. You should have at least two straight scissors, a small one, and a larger one.
- Small Straight Scissor –
You should use the smaller straight scissor when you have to pick the hair up over your fingers to cut it. The smaller blades will lower the chances of an accident. The smaller straight scissor is also better at cutting the hairline on the back of the neck and around the ears because you can handle it better and produce more detail.
- Larger Straight Scissor –
The larger straight scissor should be used when you lift the hair over a comb to cut it because it covers a larger surface, so you’ll be more efficient. The larger scissor is also heavier than the smaller one, so it’s better suited for cutting wet or thick hair.
- Thinning Scissor –
The thinning scissor is used for cutting the bulk of thick hair, so it will change the hair’s texture. This scissor is essential for modern men hairstyles. You should have at least two types of thinning scissors. One with 28 teeth that is great for texturing extremely thick hair and giving the sought out modern look.
One with 40 – 44 teeth that are ideal for tapering, blending, as well as adding texture. You can check out the high-quality hair thinning scissor reviews here!
- Straight Scissors –
Types Of Hair Cutting Blades
There are more two types of hair cutting scissors, each of them designed to perform better at a certain task. However, there are also people who prefer using one type better than the other, so they will choose accordingly.
- Convex Blades –
These scissors are often called “Japanese” because they originated there. They are usually very sharp. Most professionals agree they are the sharpest scissors because they use a razor-like edge. Convex scissors are a very good all-around tool and can be used for all the cutting techniques, but they are especially useful at slicing thanks to them a very sharp edge.
They are better suited for experienced users, and in their hands, they can produce great haircuts. One of the advantages of using a scissor with convex blades is that they are hollow ground, so they have a really smooth cutting action. This will allow you to cut a lot of hair with great precision in a quick manner.
Convex scissors are made out of solid stainless steel, so they are usually slightly more expensive than other models. The stainless steel also makes them a little heavier than others. The higher price is also attributed to the difficult manufacturing process required to make a pair of scissors. These scissors need professional sharpening, but if you take good care of them, you will use a single pair your whole life.
- Beveled Edge –
Scissors with beveled edge blades are usually made from alloys. The materials used by most manufacturers to create these scissors are usually lightweight, so the scissors will be lighter than the ones with convex blades. Most manufacturers implement micro serrations in one or both of the scissors blades. These serrations are designed to stop the hair from sliding from the blade, so they are great for users who are learning how to cut hair, or who are not very experienced.
These scissors are very good all-around tools, but they are better suited for detail cutting and cutting dry hair. Using them for slice cutting is difficult, and sometimes hair can jam on the blade. If you choose a polished beveled edge blade, you can use it for every cutting technique with great results, including slicing.
- Convex Blades –
Type Of Scissor Handle
There are three main types of scissor handles. They are usually a matter of preference, but they greatly influence the position you have to use when cutting hair.
- Even Handle –
This is the basic handle design, where both the handles are symmetrical. The even handle needs a neutral hair cutting position.
- Offset Handle –
One of the handles is longer than the other. This means you’ll have a more open hand position. This will allow you to keep your elbow and arm in a lower position when you’re cutting hair. Some people consider this position more comfortable than the neutral one.
- Crane Handle –
The crane handle is similar to the offset one. The only difference is that the top handle is very straight, so you will be able to maintain an even lower elbow position.
- Even Handle –
Caring For Your Hair Cutting Shears
If you buy high-quality scissors, you will be able to use them for a very long time without too much maintenance. However, you should follow these steps to make sure your shears will last.
- Make sure you clean the shears after every use. Remove the hair and dry them off to make sure they won’t rust.
- Between uses, dips the scissors in disinfectant and dry them off before use
- Make sure you use soft towels when you dry them off so they won’t dull quickly
- Place a drop of oil below the pivot area after every few uses to make sure they work smoothly.
Best Hair Cutting Shear Comparison Chart
|Saki Katana Japanese Hair Scissors Set||$$$$$||Japanese Stainless Steel||6 inch/30 Teeth||Japanese style convex blade with hardness 60-61 HRC|
|Centrix Roc-it Dog Shear R 575||$$$$||Melting custom blended alloys||5.75"||Precision Cast Convex Blade|
|JOHN Longlasting Professional Shears||$$||Japanese ATS314 Cobalt Steel||6.5 inch||Convex Blades Anti-slip Carved|
|Suvorna 5.5” Precision Razor Edge Japanese Stainless Steel Barber Scissors||$$$||JAPANESE J2 420 STEEL||5.5 inch||Convex razor edge and hollow ground blades|
|ZZZRT Multi Color (Complete Students & Barber Kit)||$$$$||Japanese J2 Stainless Steel||5.5 inch||Pro Razor edge|
|Professional Hairdressing Scissors-Barber Hair Cutting Scissors Shears||$||440C Japanese Stainless Steel||6.5 inch||Razor Sharp|
|Got Glamour Cobalt Molybdenum Right-Handed Hair Cutting Scissors||$$$||Cobalt Molybdenum||6 inch||Convex Blade|
|Professional Barber/Salon Razor Edge Hair Cutting Scissors||$$||Japanese stainless steel||6 ½ inch||Precise blades and hand sharpened cutting edge|
|Equinox Professional Razor Edge Series||$$||Japanese stainless steel||6.5 inch||Precise blades and hand-sharpened cutting edges|
|Professional Barber Scissor Hair Cutting Set||$||Japanese Sharpened stainless steel||6.5 inch||Superior blades will never lock up or get dull|
Hair cutting shears are the most important tool for a hairdresser, barber, and even a groomer. No matter how the styles and fashions change, if you have a high-quality shear, you will be able to deliver what the client needs.
We’re sure that after taking a look at our hair cutting shears reviews you were able to find the right model for your needs, whether you’re a professional or an amateur.
If you’re not sure you’re using the best hair cutting shears right now, take a moment to read our short buying guide to find out which are the most important components of a shear, and how they influence your work.